This That quilt

Well I have officially named the quilt that I am working on now. Introducing the DisDat quilt – because it’s a little bit of This and a little bit of That. I’m still working on getting all the block patterns drawn up – I’ve been quite slack lately, just chilling and trying to get back into going to the gym, and weirdly having a bit of a spring clean at home. I’ve been obsessing more about my cleaning lately than ever before. Ack!!!

In between drawing up all the patterns I’ve been making selected ones out of some nice material I found at Spotlight, and left over white cotton from Tomahawks quilt. I’ve no idea what I’m going to do with all these blocks when they’re finished, but I’m supposing I will put them all together and quilt it up, otherwise, I’m going to have 30 blocks doing nothing. So I suppose I should really look for some co-ordinating fabrics so I can make all these blocks; I’ve made 5 of them up so far, only 25 more to make to ensure I’m working my measurements out correctly.

Block one

Block seven

Block fifteen

Block eighteen

Block thirty

And on super fantastic news. Today was weigh in day and I lost 1.5kg, so I’m pretty much back to the weight I was at the wedding. Should have been about 5kg less, but at least I’m losing weight again, rather than watching the numbers on the scales go up again. Now I just need to really push myself to get back to the gym on a regular basis. But YAY ME, weight loss again.

It’s new quilt project time

So a while back I stopped over at Mid Mod Quilt Bee and came across this post which gave me some inspiration to start a new quilt. I fell in love with the simplicity of it and really wanted to try something similar. While I love the colours that are on the drawing, they weren’t quite what I wanted.

So I set to work on a design for my quilt, and this is what I came up with:

One very rough design

Basic colour scheme

Hopefully you get the idea from that. It’s pretty rough at this stage, I’m still working out what all my measurements are going to be and I want to finish up the colouring of the whole quilt. But basically, because I want something that’s fairly neutral for both my partner and myself, that matches the lounge suite, I’m going to go with some dusky pinks, grey blues and mocha chocolates for the sashing and backgrounds.

The overall plan and my calculations

So after doing some measuring up, I thought I should test out my measurements with some scraps and see if I actually worked it out correctly – which I did, except for the long piece, which I didn’t measure correctly when cutting it out. Instead of 11.5″ I cut out 12.5″ and couldn’t for the life of me work out why it was too long. Silly me.

Trial all cut out and placed up

And voila. One test piece sewn up. I really have to work on trying to keep the material from pulling, because as you can tell, it’s now a little lopsided instead of being square. GRRR. But practice makes perfect, so I will get it right in the end. Now to find myself just the right fabric to make the quilt out of and to measure up the rest of the blocks.

The test sewn up

So on another note, today was weigh in day and I have to say that it’s been a bad couple of weeks with lots of sickness, friends visiting and staying with us and general non excitement, non motivated time. Needless to say, I put on weight *sigh* So now I have 1.8kg (OMG YES) to lose. My aim is to get to 90kg by Christmas time, so I guess I better get my (big) butt back to the gym. Tommorrow!!!