Our weekly surprise for 12WBT is to create a snack. The rules were that we had to only have 5 ingredients and be quick to make. Well these technically don’t qualify because they have 10 ingredients and are not super quick to make, but I love these. They came about by a bit of an accident, I had so much dried fruit left over from another recipe and I bought Quinoa and had no idea what to do with it, so here we go:
Yummy ugly balls
Each ball is about 25g and has only 58 calories.
You should get 16 balls out of this mix.
- 1/3 cup quinoa
- 1/3 cup oats
- 3/4 orange juice
- 3 tablespoon craisins
- 3 tablespoon prunes
- 3 tablespoon dried figs
- 1/8 cup almonds
- 1/8 cup walnuts
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 20g Dessicated coconut
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees (celcius).
- Place the quinoa and orange juice in a pan and cook the quinoa until it has soaked up all the orange juice.
- Meanwhile, chop (or blitz) the almonds (I use flaked almonds), walnuts, dried figs and prunes.
- Place in a bowl with the oats and add the cranberries. When the quinoa has soaked up all the juice add this to the mix.
- Let the mixture cool slightly and then add 1 tablespoon maple syrup to the mix and mix up well.
- Take a tablespoon full of the mixture and roll into a ball, flatten slightly and roll in the coconut.
- Place on a baking sheet and put into the oven to cook for about 12 minutes.
(The cooking step is optional – you can just roll these into coconut and put in the fridge, but I like the extra crunch you get when you cook these).
- When they’re cooked, let them cool and put in the fridge.
So if you’re looking for something that’s maybe a little like a muesli bar, but with less calories and super yummy, then may I suggest these. And if you do make them, drop me a line and let me know what you think. Are my tastebuds just weird?